Our Basic Bank Account is designed for people who are legally residing in Malta or another EU member state and who do not hold any other account with other banks in Malta.
Benefits of an HSBC Basic Bank Account
With a Basic Bank Account you are entitled to
Cash deposits or withdrawals at/from the bank's branches
Cash withdrawals from ATMs both locally and other EU member states
Payments by direct debit within the EU
An international debit card allowing payments to be made both locally and outside Malta (including online payments)
Inward and outward payments
Online banking, mobile banking and phone banking
Who can apply for a Basic Bank Account?
People who are legally residing in Malta or another EU Member state including:
- Persons with no fixed address;
- Refugees, stateless persons or asylum seekers;
- Persons who are not granted a residence permit but whose repatriation is not possible for legal or factual reasons.
Customers may be restricted to having one account only and would not be able to avail themselves of other products and services until they meet additional requirements and criteria.
Documents required to open a Basic Bank Account
All documents must be in original
Identification Document (any one of the below)
- A valid unexpired Passport
- A valid unexpired national or other government issued identity card
- A valid unexpired residence card
If the above documents are not held, an official document containing photographic evidence of identity which is recognised as a legal means of identification by the national law or EU.
Proof of Permanent Residential Address (any one of the below)
- A government-issued document containing details of the permanent residential address
- Correspondence from a central or local government authority, department or agency within the last 4 months
Utility Bill in relation to services linked to the permanent residential address issued within the last 4 months. In cases of no fixed address other documents are to be requested as required.
Confirmation of Tax Residency
- Tax identification Number/s and details of any countries or regions of Tax Residency
For the purpose of opening this account, applicants are required to prove that they have a genuine interest to open such account in line with the local Payment Account Regulations.
Other documentation may be required
- If you are submitting your application online further documentation needs to be attached to the application form.
- Further details can be found in our Become an HSBC customer page.
Things you should know
Approved and issued by HSBC Bank Malta p.l.c, (116, Archbishop Street, Valletta VLT 1444). HSBC is a public limited company regulated by the Malta Financial Services Authority and licensed to carry out the business of banking in terms of the Banking Act (Cap.371 of the Laws of Malta). HSBC is licensed to conduct investment services in terms of the Investment Services Act (Cap.370. of the Laws of Malta) and is enrolled as a Tied Insurance Intermediary for HSBC Life Assurance (Malta) Ltd under the Insurance Distribution Act (Cap. 487 of the Laws of Malta).
The Site is primarily intended for those who access it from within Malta. Because of this we cannot guarantee that the Site or the information thereon complies with law or regulation of other countries and regions, or is appropriate for use, in other places. You are wholly responsible for use of the Site by any person using your computer and you must ensure that any such person complies with these Terms. The information provided on this Site is not intended for distribution to, or use by, any person in any jurisdiction where such distribution or use would be contrary to law or regulation. This Site should not be considered as communicating any invitation or inducement to engage in banking or investment activity or any offer to buy or sell any securities or other instruments outside Malta.