Become an HSBC Customer
Joining us is simple – the first step is applying online for a Current Account. Below are all the details you need.
Why join HSBC?
There are lots of reasons for you to take the next step and join us, here are a few:
- Access to a current account with an International Visa Debit card to help you manage your money day to day
- A range of lending products and services whether you are buying a home, a car or something in-between
- Access to our network of ATMs when you need to withdraw or deposit cash
- Branches across the island and a free Phone Banking service to give you that helping hand when you need it
- Free Internet and Mobile Banking that lets you check your balance, pay bills and friends and apply for products
- Savings, Investment products and advice to help you make the most of your money
How do you apply?
- Please complete our online application form – it only takes a few minutes to complete
- Our Online application will also guide you to our propositions, HSBC Advance or HSBC Premier, should you be eligible and interested in applying
- To complete the form you will need to attach a photo or scan of both sides of your ID Card –the easiest way to do this is to complete the application on a mobile device
- If you do not have a Maltese ID card you will need to upload a photo or scan of your Passport as well as a document proving your Permanent Residential Address (see the proof of Permanent Residential Address section below for more information)
- We will process your application and contact you to book a short appointment where we will finalise details and provide you with all the things you need to get going
- We will let you know what to bring for the appointment (refer to ‘Documentation you will need for the appointment’ below)
Information you'll need for the application
Before you start your online application its best you have the following in hand
- A valid Identity Card or a Passport
- If you have been living in your current address for less than one year, you will need your previous address
- Your employment details
- Your income details
- Tax Identification Number (TIN) or Country of tax residence
Documentation you will need for the appointment
During your appointment we will need to verify a few documents. Below is an overview of what you need to bring. Please note that these must be originals.
Identification Document (one of the following)
- A valid unexpired Passport
- A valid unexpired driving licence
- A valid unexpired national or other government issued identity card
- A valid unexpired residence card
- If the above documents are not held, an official document containing photographic evidence of identity which is recognised as a legal means of identification by the national law or EU.
The verification of the residential address may be carried out through any of the identification documents listed above. However, where such identification document does not contain information on the permanent residential address one of the following documents is to be provided:
Proof of Permanent Residential Address (one of the following)
- A government-issued document containing details of the permanent residential address
- Correspondence from a central or local government authority, department or agency within the last 4 months
- Utility Bill in relation to services linked to the permanent residential address issued within the last 4 months
- In the case of no fixed address being available, other documents may be requested
Confirmation of Tax Residency
- We are to be provided with the Tax Identification Number/s and Country/ies of Tax Residency
Purpose of Account
- For the purpose of opening this account, applicants are required to prove that they have a genuine interest to open an account in Malta.
Other documentation may be required (depending on specific circumstances), in which case - we shall inform you.
What we will provide (once your application has been processed)
- A current account
- An International debit card
- Personal Internet Banking & HSBC Mobile Banking (its best you bring your smartphone or tablet to your appointment)
- Phone Banking
New to HSBC
We're seeing high levels of demand and we’ll aim to get back to you within 2 weeks.
Apply in branch
Visit your nearest branch and speak to our staff.
We recommend that you select this option only if you are opening a joint account. If you want to open an account in your name only, we recommend that you use our easy and faster online application by clicking the red ‘Apply online’ button.
The Site is primarily intended for those who access it from within Malta. Because of this we cannot guarantee that the Site or the information thereon complies with law or regulation of other countries, or is appropriate for use, in other places. You are wholly responsible for use of the Site by any person using your computer or device and you must ensure that any such person complies with these Terms. The information provided on this Site is not intended for distribution to, or use by, any person in any jurisdiction where such distribution or use would be contrary to law or regulation. This Site should not be considered as communicating any invitation or inducements to engage in banking or investment activity or any offer to buy or sell any securities or other instruments outside Malta.