Payment account with basic features
If you need a payment account with basic features and do not hold a similar account (with at least the same features) with any other credit institution located in Malta, you can apply for a HSBC Savings Account. Our Savings Account gives you the flexibility to deposit and withdraw money whenever you need to, and provides access to a debit card, internet banking, mobile banking and local and international payments.
Benefits of an HSBC Savings Account
- Pay in money and take it out whenever you like
- A free International Debit Card
- Make payments to other HSBC and non HSBC accounts
- Send money in Euro to other accounts in the Single Euro Payment Area or in other currencies to any other account
- Free internet, mobile and telephone banking
- Set up direct debits or standing orders
- Receive money in Euro and other currencies
- Free SMS Alerts
New to HSBC - Apply online
It only takes a few minutes to apply online. Or, you can visit your nearest HSBC Branch and speak to our staff. They will be happy to help.
Who can apply for a payment account with basic features?
People who are legally residing in Malta or another EU Member state including:
- Persons with no fixed address;
- Refugees, stateless persons or asylum seekers;
- Persons who are not granted a residence permit but whose repatriation is not possible for legal or factual reasons.
Customers may be restricted to having one account only and would not be able to avail themselves of other products and services until they meet additional requirements and criteria.
Documents required to open a payment account with basic features
All documents must be in original
Identification Document (any one of the below)
- A valid unexpired Passport
- A valid unexpired national or other government issued identity card
- A valid unexpired residence card
- If the above documents are not held, an official document containing photographic evidence of identity which is recognised as a legal means of identification by the national law or EU.
Proof of Permanent Residential Address (any one of the below)
- A government-issued document containing details of the permanent residential address
- Correspondence from a central or local government authority, department or agency within the last 4 months
- Utility Bill in relation to services linked to the permanent residential address issued within the last 4 months
- In cases of no fixed address other documents are to be requested as required
Confirmation of Tax Residency
- We are to be provided with the Tax Identification Number/s and Country/ies of Tax Residency
For the purpose of opening this account, applicants are required to prove that they have a genuine interest to open such account in line with the local Payment Account Regulations.
Other documentation may be required
Things you should know
The Site is primarily intended for those who access it from within Malta. Because of this we cannot guarantee that the Site or the information thereon complies with law or regulation of other countries, or is appropriate for use, in other places. You are wholly responsible for use of the Site by any person using your computer and you must ensure that any such person complies with these Terms. The information provided on this Site is not intended for distribution to, or use by, any person in any jurisdiction where such distribution or use would be contrary to law or regulation. This Site should not be considered as communicating any invitation or inducements to engage in banking or investment activity or any offer to buy or sell any securities or other instruments outside Malta.