The benefits of being a Premier customer don’t stop with you. Your children can also take advantage of a wide range of our services, from preferential rates and insurance coverage to accessing emergency money while overseas.
HSBC Head Start
- Best rates of interestHSBC Head Start account holders will receive preferred rates of interest from the time their account opens until they reach 25 years of age, helping your children grow their money more quickly and learn the benefits of saving.
- HSBC Premier recognitionBecause you'll never stop worrying about your children, we'll provide them with access to the same emergency services you would receive abroad, as they'll be recognised as Premier Children through any HSBC branch worldwide.
- Start saving any time you likeYou can open a Head Start account in your child’s name at any time from birth, and while you will retain oversight of the account until they reach maturity, they can enjoy more flexible access to their money and learn to take responsibility for their savings from an early age.
- Free account opening abroadIf your child decides to study abroad, we will open a new bank account and have it ready for them when they arrive – free of charge.
How it works
These accounts are exclusive to children of HSBC Premier Customers. All applications for Head Start accounts are to be instigated by both parents/legal guardians and can only be opened upon parents/legal guardians' instructions. Both parents/legal guardians have to sign at account opening stage.
There is no minimum age but the maximum age is 25 years. Account holders will gain access to additional benefits as they get older, helping them to enjoy greater freedom while encouraging them to manage their money responsibly.
Account features for every age range
- preferred rates of interest
- an annual statement to help them watch their savings grow
- Premier Recognition
- parents/legal guardians will have full access to the account
- children can view their account using our online banking services, but they will not be able to make payments or transfers.
Aged 10 to 12:
- ability to withdraw money from their account as per parent's or guardians' consent
- withdrawals can be made from any HSBC branch
Aged 13 to 15:
Please note that all of the above benefits are subject to approval from a parent or legal guardian.
16 to 25
- unlimited account access
- unlimited ATM withdrawals and payments from your account
HSBC Premier for the Next Generation
- our best rates of interest
- HSBC Premier Credit Mastercard* plus points-based Rewards Programme
- access to expert financial advice at a time that suits you
- free Travel Insurance
- free Purchase Protection
- free Life cover insurance on your HSBC Premier Credit Mastercard
*Premier Children Terms and conditions apply.
Who can apply?
- if you hold savings or investments with a balance of €70,000 or more in your HSBC Bank Malta p.l.c. accounts
- if you have a minimum net annual income^ of €50,000 if applying as a sole customer or €75,000 if applying as a joint customer with a spouse or partner, credited to an HSBC Bank Malta p.l.c. account
This does not include money transferred from any other sole or joint personal account(s) you may hold with HSBC Bank Malta p.l.c. account
^income is defined strictly as:
- salary that is credited to your account by your employer/s or from any third-party account;
- rental income, interest coupons and/or dividends that are credited to your account from any third-party account;
- HSBC Interest, coupons and/or dividend payments; and/or
- cheque deposits greater or equal to €500.
- If you have a new or existing mortgage with HSBC Malta, equivalent to a minimum of €300,000 if applying as a sole customer or €400,000 as a joint customer with a spouse or partner, subject to salary being credited into an HSBC Bank Malta p.l.c. account.
Apply for HSBC Premier Children benefits
To apply for HSBC Premier Head Start, you can call us on +(356) 2148 9100 or send us an online banking message to set an appointment at your preferred branch.
For more information, you can view the Premier Head Start terms and conditions.
To extend your Premier benefits to your child through the HSBC Premier for the Next Generation benefit, you may apply through the links below.
If child is a new customer to HSBC
The first step to apply for HSBC Premier for Next Generation benefit is to open a current account.
Apply online to become an HSBC customer.
If child is an existing HSBC customer
Things you should know
You might also be interested in
HSBC Premier offers a complete package of services and support tools to help you manage your personal economy.
Premier Credit Card
Available exclusively for existing HSBC Premier customers, this card brings you a world of travel benefits and rewards programme.