What to expect when you're buying your first home
Thinking of buying your first home? You're not alone.
It’s important that you find out as much as possible about what's involved. Our lending specialists are here to help you on your journey to becoming a home owner.
Find out how much you could borrow
Work out how much you can afford to put down as a deposit.
- you'll need a deposit of at least 10% of the property’s cost
- you can usually borrow up to 5 times your salary
- don't forget to consider the other costs associated with buying a home, such as notary costs, property valuation, legal fees and stamp duty
Shop around for a home loan
After finding the right property, there are a number of things you need to consider when deciding which home loan is right for you.
- type of home loan
- interest rate and fees
- long-term commitment
Start your application
You'll need the following information for your application.
- preliminary agreement – make sure your notary explains it in detail
- deposit – if you’re leaving a deposit, make sure you’re given at least 6 weeks to apply for the loan and the preliminary agreement states ‘subject to bank loan and all Planning Authority permits are in order’
- ID number and / or passport number
- proof of income (FS3 and your 3 latest payslips)
- details about the type of property you intend to buy
- details of current borrowings including outstanding balances, monthly repayment, interest rate and maturity date of credit facility
- second applicant’s details if you're applying jointly with someone else
Finalise your application
- you'll have a dedicated lending specialist who will guide you through the whole process
- after the application is submitted, we will issue a sanction letter
- your lending specialist will explain the sanction letter in detail
- when all the necessary conditions and documents outlined in the sanction are fulfilled, we will give an appointment to your notary to liaise with you and the seller to sign the final deed
Apply in branch
Prefer to speak to someone in person? Find a branch and visit us when it's convenient for you.
Apply over the phone
To get a quote and apply, give our advisers a call on
Lines are open from 8.00am to 8.00pm, except Sundays and public holidays
You might be interested in
Classic Home Loan
Discover our standard home loan for everyone from first time buyers to seasoned property owners.
Get on the property ladder with lower repayments for the first few years of your home loan.
Approved and issued by HSBC Bank Malta p.l.c, (116, Archbishop Street, Valletta VLT 1444). HSBC is a public limited company regulated by the Malta Financial Services Authority and licensed to carry out the business of banking in terms of the Banking Act (Cap.371 of the Laws of Malta). HSBC is licensed to conduct investment services in terms of the Investment Services Act (Cap.370. of the Laws of Malta) and is enrolled as a Tied Insurance Intermediary for HSBC Life Assurance (Malta) Ltd under the Insurance Distribution Act (Cap. 487 of the Laws of Malta).
The Site is primarily intended for those who access it from within Malta. Because of this we cannot guarantee that the Site or the information thereon complies with law or regulation of other countries, or is appropriate for use, in other places. You are wholly responsible for use of the Site by any person using your computer and you must ensure that any such person complies with these Terms. The information provided on this Site is not intended for distribution to, or use by, any person in any jurisdiction where such distribution or use would be contrary to law or regulation. This Site should not be considered as communicating any invitation or inducement to engage in banking or investment activity or any offer to buy or sell any securities or other instruments outside Malta.