HSBC Bank Malta p.l.c. Premier Terms and Conditions
The Premier Proposition is governed at all times by:
i. these Premier Proposition Terms and Conditions;
ii. the General Terms and Conditions - Accounts (in case you are a ‘consumer’ as defined under the Consumer Affairs Act (Ch. 378 of the Laws of Malta) or a ‘micro-enterprise’ as defined in paragraph 3 of the Business Promotion Regulations, 2000); or the General Terms and Conditions (Corporate Opt-Out) - Accounts (in case you are a non-micro-enterprise) (the “General Terms”);
iii. the HSBC Cards Conditions of Use;
vi. all other terms and conditions governing the relevant accounts, transactions, dealings, services, products, information, goods, benefits or privileges, together hereinafter referred to as the “Terms”
You must review carefully all the above as applicable.
- In these terms and conditions, “HSBC Premier Proposition” refers to the package consisting of the HSBC Premier Account (which refers to any savings or current account you hold with us), HSBC Premier Credit Mastercard, HSBC Premier Visa International Debit card and any other card issued in the future which bears the same, similar or enhanced characteristics of the cards named herein as well as any ancillary benefits which may exist from time to time;
- “Immediate Family Members” refers to spouses, partners living in the same household and also to your unmarried dependent children providing they are under 18 years of age or under 25 years if they are still in full time education and residing with one of the parents. Certain conditions to receive benefits apply. Please also refer to clause 1.3 of this brochure. Foster Children are also deemed to be Children of the Eligible Member.
To qualify for HSBC Premier, you need to
i. have and maintain a minimum balance of €70,000 in savings or investments with HSBC Bank Malta p.l.c.; or
ii. credit your income^ to your account with us subject a minimum net annual income of €50,000 if you are a sole customer or a minimum net annual joint income of €75,000 if applying as a joint customer with a spouse or partner. This does not include money transferred from any other sole or joint personal account(s) you may hold with HSBC Bank Malta p.l.c.
iii. you can also qualify for HSBC Premier if you hold a mortgage of €300,000 on a sole basis or €400,000 on a joint basis with HSBC Bank Malta p.l.c. subject to your salary being credited into an HSBC Bank Malta p.l.c. account.
^For the purpose of this sub-clause 1.1 “income” is defined strictly as:
- salary that is credited to your account by your employer/s or from any third-party account;
- rental income, interest coupons and/or dividends that are credited to your account;
- HSBC Interest, coupons and/or dividend payments; and/or
- cheque deposits greater or equal to €500.
Only one proposition at a time may be enjoyed by eligible customers. This means that if you already have our Advance proposition, once you satisfy the eligibility criteria for Premier proposition and we agree to upgrade you to Premier proposition, any Advance cards which you may hold along with the Advance proposition benefits will be terminated and replaced with the HSBC Premier proposition package.
HSBC Fusion Sole Traders can also benefit from the Premier Proposition through their Personal and Business relationship. We can take into account your Personal balances and your three-month average business turnover. HSBC Fusion Sole Traders must have a Personal Profile with a minimum balance of €10,000 while total balances of both personal and business accounts should be over €70,000.
- Benefits for Your Family
Benefits to Immediate Family Members under the Premier Proposition are only available if such Immediate Family Member is an existing customer and holds accounts with HSBC Bank Malta p.l.c.
Travel insurance benefit will, however, apply to your Immediate Family Members irrespective of whether these are HSBC Bank Malta p.l.c. customers or otherwise.
Please note that within this Premier proposition, insurance cover will be provided even to customers who do not require such insurance cover. This cover will be free and will remain until you remain eligible to benefit from this proposition.
We have the right to change, at any time, the benefit of the insurance cover and the service providers relating to the insurance cover, including but not limited to the insurance underwriters and the brokers.
- Free of charge
The HSBC Premier Proposition is free of charge.
If you are benefiting from the HSBC Premier Proposition as a result of meeting the eligibility criteria detailed in section 1.1 of this document, you can at any time choose to cancel the proposition. The HSBC Premier Proposition may also be terminated by the Bank if you no longer meet the eligibility criteria detailed in section 1.1 or 1.2 above.
- Subject to the below conditions, you may terminate the HSBC Premier Proposition by going into one of our branches.
a. You must destroy any unused cheques and all cards bearing the Premier mark by cutting them through the magnetic stripe appearing at the back.
b. Any such termination will bring to an end these Premier Proposition Terms & Conditions as well as the Terms in so far as they apply to the HSBC Premier Proposition.
c. In case of cancellation/ termination of the HSBC Premier Proposition, no charge for cancellation/termination will be levied by us, provided you are a ‘consumer’ in terms of the Consumer Affairs Act (Chapter 378 of the Laws of Malta).
- We may terminate this agreement or cancel or suspend the HSBC Premier Proposition or the use of a Card at any time by giving you 60 days prior notice or such other shorter notice period as may be allowed by law, in writing or by e-mail or a secure message via our Online banking, advising you of the Terms and Conditions including any fees of the new Programme (as applicable). This notice period however shall not apply where the HSBC Premier Proposition, the Card, the Account or the Rewards Programme has been or is likely to be misused or in the event of any other serious reason including breach, or possible breach, by you of any of the HSBC Premier Terms and Conditions (including failure to meet the eligibility criteria), in which case termination, cancellation or suspension will be immediate. Please refer also to the full “Termination” conditions set out in this clause 2.
- In the event that your HSBC Premier status is withdrawn or terminated either by you or by the Bank, any benefits and any credit limits enjoyed under the HSBC Premier proposition will be revoked and new, benefits, charges and credit limits (if any) of the new proposition will be provided.
Immediately upon any such withdrawal or termination of your HSBC Premier status, any preferential discount on interest rate granted on loans and other credit facilities as a result of such status, if any, will also be revoked and changed to the standard retail interest rate quoted on the sanction letter or other terms of the facility. We would also close your HSBC Premier Credit Mastercard and, should you wish so, you can apply for another credit card by visiting one of our branches. If you frequently use your debit card, we will order a replacement card for you and once you receive the replacement card we will cancel the Premier Visa International debit card. If your debit card has been inactive for more than 12 months, a replacement card would not be issued. Should you however wish to apply for the debit card at any subsequent point in time, you may do so by visiting one of our branches.
With regards to the Premier Rewards Programme, we reserve the right to immediately terminate or suspend your participation in the Programme and to deduct any Rewards Points you or any additional cardholder have earned if you have not observed these Terms and Conditions (including failure to meet eligibility criteria) or are in breach of your HSBC Card Conditions of Use or any other agreement with us.
Please refer to Section 2 – Termination of Programme, clause 4 of this document for more details.
- Subject to the below conditions, you may terminate the HSBC Premier Proposition by going into one of our branches.
- Privacy Notice
Your privacy is important to us. We’ll use your information and that of any other person connected to your account as explained in our Privacy Notice, in accordance with data protection legislation and other applicable legislation.
By using the Proposition, you explicitly consent to us accessing, processing, and retaining any information you provide to us, for the purposes of providing services to you. This does not affect any rights and obligations you or we have under data protection legislation.
Our Privacy Notice explains how we collect, use, disclose, transfer, and store your information and sets out your rights to your information. We have provided our Privacy Notice to you separately and will inform you when we make any changes to it. You can also find this at www.hsbc.com.mt or you can ask for a copy in any branch.
Where you give us any information about another person connected to your account such as the additional Cardholder/Additional User, you must tell them what information you have given to us, and make sure they agree that we can use it as set out in the Privacy Notice.
Furthermore, where the Principal Account Holder holds other HSBC accounts in other jurisdictions, information held may be shared between such other jurisdictions for Customer Due Diligence purposes.
Please also note that for the purpose of HSBC being able to satisfy its obligations under the Banking Act of 1994 and the Professional Secrecy Act of 1994, you hereby give your express consent to us sharing your information with other members of the HSBC group (HSBC Holdings plc, and or any of its affiliates, subsidiaries, associated entities, and any of their branches or offices) and any other third parties. The way we share and process your information is explained in our Privacy Notice.
- Conflict of Interest
A Conflict of Interest (“Conflict”) is a situation or arrangement where HSBC Group, or a company with which it has an association, (“HSBC”) and/or any of its employees is subject to multiple influences, the competition of which might adversely affect decision-making or outcomes in the course of conducting business. HSBC has established procedures which are designed to identify and manage such conflicts. For further information, refer to the HSBC Conflicts of Interest Policy Summary.
- How to Complain
The Bank takes customer service very seriously. If we do not deliver the standard of service you expect, or if you think we have made a mistake, please let us know. We will investigate the situation and, if necessary, set about putting matters right as quickly as possible.
We have the following complaint handling procedures. You may submit your complaint:
- by notifying your Branch Manager;
- by sending a secure message on Online Banking; or
- by calling our Contact Centre on +356 2148 9100.
If your complaint still has not been addressed to your satisfaction you may also complain to The Arbiter of the Financial Services, at the Office of the Arbiter of Financial Services, First floor, St Calcedonius Square, Floriana FRN 1530, Malta or via e-mail complaint on firstname.lastname@example.org, but before you do this we request you contact your Branch Manager/Relationship Manager/ Customer Relationship Officer.
- Variation of these Terms and Conditions
The Bank may vary these Premier Terms and Conditions at its discretion by giving you at least 30 days' notice in writing or by email or a secure message via our Online banking. The change will take effect on the date stated by us in our notice.
The Bank reserves the right to withdraw at any time and without notice any items or services shown in the HSBC Premier at a Glance document.
These Premier Terms and Conditions are available in the English Language.
These Premier Terms and Conditions are governed by Maltese Law and, for the benefit of the Bank the Account Holder is hereby submitting to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the Maltese courts.