A home loan with tiered repayments
Get a HomeStart loan
Why you'll want this home loan
- Flexibility when you need itMake reduced repayments for the first 3 or 5 years of your home loan.
- Up to 90% or 75% loan to value (LTV)Borrow up to 90% of the value of your property for your primary residence and 75% of the value of your property for your second residence
- Main or second homeUse this home loan for your main home or for a second home.
- Variable interest rateSee your monthly repayments go down - or up - to reflect our Home Loans Base Rate.
- Freedom to overpayMake extra payments every month without incurring any fees to reduce balance of your loan more quickly
Things to consider
Loan amount: Your home loan will depend on your individual circumstances, the value of the property you want to buy and your income.
Loan term: A home loan may be repaid over a maximum term of 40 years or 25 years depending whether the property will be used as primary or secondary residence. In both cases the home loan is to be repaid in full prior to retirement age. The minimum loan term is 20 years.
Repayment: The HomeStart loan is an interest-only loan for the first 3 or 5 years. It automatically converts to a capital and interest repayment loan for the remainder of the term.
Life insurance: To ensure that your home loan is repaid in the event of death, having an adequate life insurance is essential. We can also provide a life policy to suit your needs.
Buildings insurance: You must take out adequate buildings insurance. This should cover the cost of rebuilding your home and we recommend that you review the level of cover from time to time to protect your investment.
Variable interest rates: Variable rates can change over the term of your home loan. We quote the rate as a margin over our Home Loans Base Rate. If the Home Loans Base Rate changes, your variable interest rate will change as well. This will affect your monthly repayment.
Terms and conditions apply.
Think carefully before securing other debts against your home. Your home may be repossessed if you do not keep up repayments on your home loan.
Cost of a typical loan – Home Start 3 Years
The cost of a home loan of €170,000, being made available to a home loan buyer at a variable borrowing interest rate of 2.95% p.a. for a term of 360 months and an introductory 3-year interest only repayment is illustrated as follows: The APRC will be 3.1% p.a. The loan will be repayable in 36 equal repayments of €423.72 (interest only); 323 equal monthly instalments of €765.56 and one final instalment of €767.94 over a term of 30 years. The total sum payable throughout the term of the loan assuming the interest rate remains unchanged will be €263,769.44.
Applicable charges on this loan are as follows – processing (legal) fee of €200; updating of searches fee of €41.70, fee for post-deed checking of hypothecary charge of €30 and fee for Bank’s appointed architect of €200 (based on a property value up to €400,000).
The loan is to be secured by a first ranking hypothec and special privilege over the property being financed, a first ranking pledge over a life assurance policy covering the whole loan amount and a buildings insurance policy for the replacement cost of the property being financed. If repayments are not maintained, the bank may take steps to sell the property financed following legal proceedings and the borrower may lose his property. Terms and conditions apply.
What you'll need to apply
- evidence of income: Last 3 months' payslips and FS3 form if you're employed, or 2 income tax returns if you are self-employed
- maltese identity card / residence card
- preliminary agreement or deed of purchase of the property
- if you're re-financing, a copy of the bank sanction letter, as well as loan statements for the last 12 months
- details of any current borrowings including outstanding balance, monthly repayment, interest rate and maturity date of facility
- a Bank Appointed Architect's valuation report on our standard valuation form (PDF 302KB)
- details of the second applicant, if you're applying jointly with someone else
Talk to us in branch
Prefer to speak to someone in person? Find a branch and visit us when it's convenient for you.
Talk to us over the phone
Give our lending specialists a call on
Lines are open from 08:00-16:00, except Sundays and public holidays.
Online Home Loan drawings
At HSBC we're committed to supporting our customers through good times and bad. We understand that unexpected circumstances may impact your finances from time to time.
If you are concerned about your ability to meet your payment obligations with us, it is important that you let us know as soon as possible. We may be able to help.
Please send us an email on email@example.com if you would like to discuss your situation with a member of our team.
You might be interested in
Classic Home Loan
Discover our standard home loan for everyone from first time buyers to seasoned property owners.