A home loan with tiered repayments
Get a HomeStart loan
Why you'll want this home loan
- Flexibility when you need itMake reduced repayments for the first 3 or 5 years of your home loan.
- Up to 90% or 85% loan to value (LTV)Borrow up to 90% of the value of your property for your primary residence and 85% of the value of your property for your second residence
- Main or second homeUse this home loan for your main home or for a second home.
- Variable interest rateSee your monthly repayments go down - or up - to reflect our Home Loans Base Rate.
- Freedom to overpayMake extra payments every month without incurring any fees to reduce balance of your loan more quickly
Things to consider
Loan amount: Your home loan will depend on your individual circumstances, the value of the property you want to buy and your income.
Loan term: A home loan may be repaid over a maximum term of 40 years but should be repaid prior to retierment age. The minimum loan term is 20 years.
Repayment: The HomeStart loan is an interest-only loan for the first 3 or 5 years. It automatically converts to a capital and interest repayment loan for the remainder of the term.
Life insurance: To ensure that your home loan is repaid in the event of death, having an adequate life insurance is essential. We can also provide a life policy to suit your needs.
Buildings insurance: You must take out adequate buildings insurance. This should cover the cost of rebuilding your home and we recommend that you review the level of cover from time to time to protect your investment.
Variable interest rates: Variable rates can change over the term of your home loan. We quote the rate as a margin over our Home Loans Base Rate. If the Home Loans Base Rate changes, your variable interest rate will change as well. This will affect your monthly repayment.
Fees: Terms and conditions apply.
Think carefully before securing other debts against your home. Your home may be repossessed if you do not keep up repayments on your home loan.
Cost of a typical loan – Home Start 3 Years
The cost of a home loan of €170,000, being made available to a home loan buyer at a variable borrowing interest rate of 2.85% p.a. for a term of 360 months and an introductory 3-year interest only repayment is illustrated as follows: The APRC will be 3.0% p.a. The loan will be repayable in 36 equal repayments of €409.36 (interest only), 323 equal monthly instalments of €756.50 and one final instalment of €784.39 over a term of 30 years. The total sum payable throughout the term of the loan assuming the interest rate remains unchanged will be €260,342.55.
Applicable charges on this loan are as follows – processing (legal) fee of €200; updating of searches fee of €41.70, fee for post-deed checking of hypothecary charge of €30 and fee for Bank’s appointed architect of €200 (based on a property value up to €400,000).
The loan is to be secured by a first ranking hypothec and special privilege over the property being financed, a first ranking pledge over a life assurance policy covering the whole loan amount and a buildings insurance policy for the replacement cost of the property being financed. If repayments are not maintained, the bank may take steps to sell the property financed following legal proceedings and the borrower may lose his property. Terms and conditions apply.
What you'll need to apply
- evidence of income: Last 3 months' payslips and FS3 form if you're employed, or 2 income tax returns if you are self-employed
- maltese identity card / residence card
- preliminary agreement or deed of purchase of the property
- if you're re-financing, a copy of the bank sanction letter, as well as loan statements for the last 12 months
- details of any current borrowings including outstanding balance, monthly repayment, interest rate and maturity date of facility
- a Bank Appointed Architect's valuation report on our standard valuation form (PDF 302KB)
- details of the second applicant, if you're applying jointly with someone else
Talk to us in branch
Prefer to speak to someone in person? Find a branch and visit us when it's convenient for you.
Talk to us over the phone
Give our lending specialists a call on
Lines are open from 8.00am to 8.00pm, except Sundays and public holidays
Online Home Loan drawings
You might be interested in
Classic Home Loan
Discover our standard home loan for everyone from first time buyers to seasoned property owners.
Approved and issued by HSBC Bank Malta p.l.c, (116, Archbishop Street, Valletta VLT 1444). HSBC is a public limited company regulated by the Malta Financial Services Authority and licensed to carry out the business of banking in terms of the Banking Act (Cap.371 of the Laws of Malta). HSBC is licensed to conduct investment services in terms of the Investment Services Act (Cap.370. of the Laws of Malta) and is enrolled as a Tied Insurance Intermediary for HSBC Life Assurance (Malta) Ltd under the Insurance Distribution Act (Cap. 487 of the Laws of Malta).
The Site is primarily intended for those who access it from within Malta. Because of this we cannot guarantee that the Site or the information thereon complies with law or regulation of other countries, or is appropriate for use, in other places. You are wholly responsible for use of the Site by any person using your computer and you must ensure that any such person complies with these Terms. The information provided on this Site is not intended for distribution to, or use by, any person in any jurisdiction where such distribution or use would be contrary to law or regulation. This Site should not be considered as communicating any invitation or inducement to engage in banking or investment activity or any offer to buy or sell any securities or other instruments outside Malta.